Well - yesterday I provided a recap from one of my favorite speakers at the Women of Faith conference this weekend. But I also had the pleasure of attending the conference with a wonderful girlfriend of mine. It was so refreshing to sit and be able to make eye contact with someone else and just talk (rather than chasing a two-year old around, cutting up food into tiny bits and pieces, etc.).
Tonya and I have known each other for several years through various church activities. But I think that we took our friendship to a new level this weekend. We were able to share parts of our lives that neither of us was aware of previously. It was nice to be able to open up and share freely about our own life experiences. I think the one thing that I took away from our weekend together was realizing that being vulnerable and open with others is so key to developing healthy, meaningful relationships.
Too often, I put up barriers because I fear being judged or let down by someone else. What I am slowly coming to realize is that when we are open and honest about our life struggles, we allow others the opportunity to come alongside and support us through those times. Will we never be hurt? No - there absolutely will be those who break our trust or gossip behind our back about our struggles. However, I believe that we will only be able to see the best in people if we give them the opportunity to help us along the way.
I have learned over the past two years that being open and honest about issues that I am dealing with has also helped me to minister to others. When I had a miscarriage 3 1/2 years ago, I had no one to turn to with questions about what to expect, what to do next, how to cope, etc. But, with God's help, I have learned that my openness and honesty about my experience has allowed me to help others in the same situation.
Although I don't yearn to experience difficult times in my life, my prayer is that I will continually use those experiences to first of all, be vulnerable and open with others about my struggles and secondly, be open and willing to minister to others in similar circumstances.
Thank you Lord for girlfriends and for Your grace - may I continue to show more and more of it to others each day!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I loved your blog - this is something I struggle with. I do not like to feel vulnerable - and so I do what I need to protect myself! Thank you for reminding me that it is much better if I let others help me!
I had a great time with you over the weekend. I love that I get to know you more and more every time we talk - there is never a shallow conversation! I appreciate that so much about you. You were more private when we first met --- I'm thrilled that you will talk my ear off about anything now. Makes it so safe for me to be real with you... and safety was once what I needed in order to tell the truth about things in my own life. Now that I've found safety among amazing friends and in God, I don't worry or tread so lightly anymore. But, I'd never be where I'm at today if it weren't for friends like you who demonstrate vulnerability, faith and truth. For many reasons you hold a very special place in my heart. You will always be a cherished friend and part of my story. Love you!
It is a little crazy that we're picking up & moving to TX! I have to say I didn't think Jason would ever actually do it. It should be an adventure, and we're pretty excited about the change! I haven't been updating the blog lately because I didn't know what I wanted to say about the move! I'll try to do better!!! :) Hope you guys are doing well!
Post a Comment