Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Grand New Day

I had the privilege of attending the Women of Faith conference this weekend in Kansas City with a girlfriend of mine. The conference was really amazing - the theme this year was "A Grand New Day." Not only was it full of powerful praise and worship music, God-centered teaching, but it helped me to get a fresh perspective.

One of my favorite speakers was Patsy Clairmont. She is a tiny little thing, but she packs a powerful punch. She is so easy to listen to, and she has a way of making the word of God come alive for me. Her word pictures have really stayed with me even after the conference was over.

She related a story about her grandson this past Christmas season. She had Christmas trees set up all around her house but none of them had been decorated. When Noah walked into their living room, the largest Christmas tree was set up there. His reaction was one of awe. When Noah went home that night, he kept nagging his mom because he wanted to go back to his grandmother (Patsy's) house the next day to help her decorate the tree. His mom finally relented, and Noah went to help Patsy and her husband decorate the Christmas tree in their living room.

As most children do, Noah decorated the entire section of the Christmas tree that was at his eye level. He even placed ornaments on top of ornaments. As Patsy explained, when Noah left that day, she spent the next three days re-decorating the Christmas tree to even all of the ornaments out. When Noah returned to their house a few days later, he walked into the living room, and exclaimed, "I didn't know I had done all of that."

As Patsy went on to explain, when we are in the midst of the laundry, the dishes, the diapers, the appointments, the responsibilities, and the day-to-day tasks, sometimes we get so caught up in looking at the eye level ornaments that we miss the bigger picture. Her point was that that some day, we will be able to step back and say "Wow - I did all of that?!" That was such an encouragement to me. I DO tend to get so caught up in the details that I miss the big picture of what my primary role is - to raise two little girls into women who love Christ as their Savior and love others!

And to take Patsy's analogy one step further, she said that she envisioned that when we stand before the throne of God, it will be much the same. We will see all of that we have done for His kingdom, and we will say "Wow - I did all of that?!" I pray that is the legacy that I leave, not only for my children but for those whose lives I come into contact with.

More about the conference tomorrow! For now, I leave you with a verse - "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 Hope you have a great night!

1 comment:

The Conklin Crew said...

Emily-
I loved your post and loved the verse. I keep this verse with me! Thanks for sharing and so glad the conference was awesome! Wish I could have been there! Have a great day! Tell Lydia "Hi" from Annie! She misses her!
Take care,
Karen