Monday, August 31, 2009

Batteries Not Included

This morning, I took Lydia to her "school" to visit her Children's Day Out teachers for this year. On the way to school, Hannah and Lydia were sitting in their respective car seats. It is not at all unusual to hear Lydia start doing something that makes Hannah giggle and pretty soon they are both laughing - Lydia to get the giggle reaction from Hannah and Hannah laughing at how silly her older sister is.

This is exactly the scenario that was occurring this morning. I was giggling under my breath at both of them. But pretty soon, I noticed that Hannah was unusually quiet in the backseat. Nothing was wrong - she was just sitting looking out the window. Lydia kept repeating, "Hannah - laugh! Please laugh!" or "Hannah - why aren't you laughing?" Obviously, the tactic that Lydia had been using was no longer working.

Then, Lydia said, "Mom - Hannah won't laugh anymore." I told her that Hannah probably didn't think whatever she was doing was funny anymore. Lydia pondered that for a minute before responding, "Mom - I think Hannah just needs new batteries." Oh - the mind and creativity of a two-year old. I emphatically told her that with the speed that Hannah can effectively undo a kitchen cabinet, she certainly didn't need new batteries! :)

Lydia did great in her classroom - she is definitely going to be one of the more talkative ones in the class. No big surprise there! Hope that you all have a great week!

2 comments:

Court said...

Oh, that's adorable! I'm glad you're back to blogging. We've missed your updates.

Mandi said...

That is so cute! Welcome back...I like the updates :)