For those of you that don't know, I was admitted to Shawnee Mission Medical Center on Monday (2/25/2008) afternoon after having some blood work that came back abnormal. My only symptoms prior to being admitted was a dull, persistent headache that I had throughout last weekend. When I called my doctor, she asked that I go to the hospital (based on my previous history with post-partum eclampsia). They put me on the monitor to monitor the baby's heartbeat and any contractions that I have was having. The wonderful news is that the baby looks great, and I wasn't having any regular contractions. They also started to run the blood work. By 3:00 p.m. on Monday afternoon, my blood work was back and one of my liver enzymes was elevated. I was admitted on Monday night for observation. When my doctor came by on Monday night, she wanted to run some additional tests. One of the tests is a 24-hour urine analysis. I started that on Monday afternoon.
On Tuesday morning, the blood work was re-run. My liver enzyme level had improved but was still above the normal range. On Tuesday morning, we also had an ultrasound and had a consultation with a perinatologist. He was much more reassuring about the entire situation and told us that he was not prepared to deliver the baby early simply because of a high level enzyme level. He told us that we needed to wait on the results of the 24-hour urine analysis. But the great news is that the ultrasound showed that the baby was approximately 4 pounds, 10 ounces (which is wonderful for a 31-week baby). That was definitely an answer to prayer! By Tuesday afternoon, the urine analysis results came back and my protein level was above the normal range. These results earned me an extended stay at Shawnee Mission at least until Sunday for continous observation (and bedrest). At this point, it is our understanding that more tests will be run on Sunday and the results should help determine next steps.
On Wednesday morning, the blood work was run again. The good news is that my liver enzyme level was actually back within the normal range, but as my doctor said, I am not the typical preeclamptic patient so they are not willing to take any chances.
Also, for those of you that are familiar with preeclampsia, my blood pressure has never been high. In fact, it is relatively low for being pregnant but still within the healthy range. Well - enough for the medical recap.
I get to spend most of my days reading books, watching TV, getting put on the monitors to check on the baby, surfing the Internet. I am sure that to some of you this sounds like a welcome relief! :) At this point, my attitude is fairly positive! But who knows, I may be a complete nut case by this weekend. Also, I wanted to post a couple of specific prayer requests that we would really appreciate prayers for at this point:
- That the baby continues to develop and grow strong and healthy
- That the symptoms of my preeclampsia begin to subside and that I can go home and be monitored on bed rest there
We also want to share our praises:
- Thank the Lord for wonderful friends and family who have offered to help watch Lydia over the next few weeks
- Praise God that the hospital staff has been so accomodating to all of us and that I am getting the best care possible
We will share more later!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment